[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to somecategoryof organization

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sat Oct 10 12:34:19 EDT 2009

> In terms of policy  "embedded device"   seems like a good point to
> identify in policy for denying massive V4 allocations.  We
> certainly don't need need to be writing another policy in 6
> months when
> technology X   in industry B  is in a similar position.

There seems to be some level of support for a policy which
restricts the amount of IPv4 addresses that can be
allocated for the purpose of embedded system devices that
are not conventional PCs or servers.

Since one might expect that there would be no issues with
giving these devices globally registered IPv4 addresses
*AFTER* the transition to IPv6, it seems wiser to phrase
this as a limited time moratorium rather than an outright
ban. The immediate effect is the same, but we can make sure
that it expires automatically when people's attention is
placed on more pressing IPv6 related issues in the future.

Does anyone have ideas on how to word such a policy, where
to put it in the NRPM, etc.?

--Michael Dillon