[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electricenergyindustry

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Oct 6 13:23:35 EDT 2009

If we really want to be proactive about this perhaps we should appoint a
committee to contact the cognitive parties and arrange to reserve a block of
IPv6 sufficient to their needs..

On a project of this scale it may be appropriate to permit special
considerations for routing pico-allocations of IPv6 within a special
netblock.  This would be beyond the scope of ARIN and would require working
with standards organizations.

I can certainly see justification for working out a plan to allow something
like 8 or 16 least significant bits of unique globally routable address
space for every metered premise for the express purpose of utility comms.  I
will admit I am somewhat ignorant in that I have no idea what order of
magnitude the global quantity of unique metered premises is.  Quantifying
that number will certainly have bearing on any plan.

I assert that any plan that is made needs to be globally workable, and not
custom fit to PG&E or any other individual corporate template.  This should
not be limited to electric service, but should be a shared resource
available to all utility services.

This seems like an appropriate time to lay the foundation for a new
enterprise.  It certainly makes more sense than trying to build defenses to
thwart a necessary and inevitable public service.