[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electric energyindustry

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 5 18:20:58 EDT 2009

> This is just a question to see what people think about creating a
> special policy that applies to companies wishing to provide
> infrastructure for the electric utility industry Smart Grid.

I have a philosophical objection to rules/policies/legislation
that target specific individuals, companies, or applications.
Even dumb ones.

The education part I approve of.  A "Sense of the community"
letter could probably be a good step, if the community can
muster the resources for such an executive summary to be sent
to the CEO/CIO/CxOs at the utilities.  I'll note ARIN already
sent out their "Plan for IPv6" letter.  I'll also note a
Cisco marketing blurb mentioned the Smart Grid would push
IPv6 adoption.

I guess the real question I have is what is needed to
IPv6 enable these types of applications, and what is
standing in the way to accomplish that?

Gary