[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-3 (Global Proposal): Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries

Member Services info at arin.net
Mon Oct 5 13:41:09 EDT 2009

Draft Policy 2009-3 (Global Proposal)
Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries

On 14 September 2009 a revised version of Draft Policy 2009-3 was posted
to the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML). ARIN staff reviewed the text
of the draft policy and produced the following revised staff and legal
assessment.

2009-3 is under discussion on PPML and will be presented at the upcoming
Public Policy Meeting in Dearborn.

Draft Policy 2009-3 is below and can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2009_3.html

Regards,

Member Services

## * ##

Staff Assessment

Draft Policy 2009-3 (Global Proposal)
Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries

Text assessed: 14 September 2009

I. Summary (Staff Understanding) (revised):

Staff understands that this proposal would be implemented in 2 phases.
Phase 1 says that the RIRs may elect to return any IPv4 addresses they
recover (via policy or procedure) to the IANA but it does not require
them to return recovered IPv4 address space to IANA.

Phase 2 would start after the depletion of the IANA free pool and would
nullify the existing IANA to RIR policy (Global Addressing Policy
ASO-001-2). The new IANA to RIR policy would allow each RIR to receive
approximately 1/10th of the recovered IPv4 pool from IANA once every 6
months as long as it meets the qualification criteria written in
paragraph B2. IANA will be required to keep a log of all returned IPv4
address space and all issued IPv4 address space from the recovered pool,
as well as maintain a public registry of the current disposition of all
IPv4 address space.

II. Comments

A. ARIN Staff Comments (revised)
• If an RIR is fully authoritative for a /8, and as a result of this
policy, returns a portion of that /8 to IANA, it is likely that the DNS
authority for the /8 could change. If the returned space is then
re-issued by IANA to a different RIR, is the /8 now considered an
ERX-like "fractured" /8, which the RIRs must then exchange zone
fragments for to put together a complete set of zone files for the /8?
Close coordination by the 5 RIRs will be required in order to
successfully manage the potential reverse DNS implications.

B. ARIN General Counsel Comments (revised):

The current basis of allocating number resources was established in
RFC's 2008 and 2050 and is defined to be according to operational need.
If one region has greater needs than another, current allocation policy
does not call for equal distribution of numbering resources to all RIR's.

The revised portion of this policy removes objectionable requirements in
the prior version that required ARIN to return all recovered IPV4 space
to the IANA, when such space might be needed in this region, or other
regions were not maintaining need's based distribution policies. That
first problem was exacerbated by a second: the policy included a
redistribution mechanism that did not follow RFC 2008 and 2050 but would
provide ARIN, at best, only one fifth of such space, when it was also
likely ARIN would return more than one fifth of the recovered space. The
revision to voluntarily permit, but not require ARIN to return such
recovered space is a substantial advance and removes strong legal and
fiduciary objections to the prior draft.

Accordingly, the revised policy also removes the prior version's
disincentive for any RIR, including ARIN, to undertake financial
expenditure of its financial resources for programs intended to obtain
returned space, since it does not force 100% return to IANA. Since ARIN
has expended significant resources seeking the return of unused number
resources, this is again a positive change. It also appears, and it must
be made so if it is not, that the revised language would not interfere
with transfers made under ARIN's new policy, which is intended to
encourage better use of otherwise underutilized resources.

However, the revised proposal appears to retain the predecessor' drafts
policy that each RIR with needs will be an equal recipient of such
returned space, even if those needs are disparate. This policy could
tend to reallocate returned space away from where it is recovered, in
the ARIN region, to other regions. This would be objectionable from a
fiduciary duty perspective if one or more of the other RIRs abandon
needs-based policies, but are then permitted by this policy to obtain
equal additional resources.
However, since ARIN can choose not to return recovered resources if
others RIRs are not maintaining needs based policies, this is no longer
a fatal legal flaw, since ARIN can chose not to provide returned
resources for redistribution under such circumstances.

There is a concern over one particular piece of the policy. In 4 it
states: "Each new RIR shall, at the moment of recognition, be allocated
one (1) allocation unit by the IANA." The 'new' reference appears
unwise, with "recognized" RIRs being a better choice.

III. Resource Impact

The resource impact of implementing this policy is viewed as moderate as
it represents a fundamental change to the business rules of ARIN’s
inventory management of number resources. It is estimated that this
policy would require a minimum of 6 person months of effort to implement
following ratification by the ARIN Board of Trustees. Because this
implementation is not planned, it may preempt ARIN's current project
deployment schedule.

It may require the following:

• Modifications to existing registration procedures to include the
handling of returned/reclaimed address space and the process of
requesting additional address space from the IANA.

• Modifications to the existing registration software and systems as
well as the zone gen and any other processes tied to managing reverse DNS.

• Staff training

• Inter-RIR coordination

End of assessment.