[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sun May 31 15:29:14 EDT 2009

tvest at pch.net (Tom Vest) writes:

> If I remember correctly, creating a swamp only serves to constantly
> remind those who are stuck with it afterward that swamp creation was / is
> a very bad idea. Besides, if you have an idea of where/how one might
> build a more "solid foundation", persuading us now, up front might be a
> more effective way of bringing people around than intentionally degrading
> the only "ground" that's currently apparent.

there are more than two visions (pure hierarchy and pure swamp).  for example:

neighborhood or metro-area mesh networking where local cheap highspeed ISO-L2
is used to glue geographies together in a way that no telco or backbone net
is involved... would make better use of available glass and silicon than the
pure hierarchical model IETF CIDR gave us.  this sounds like a bad idea since
it would either mean a global swamp (everybody's /56 in the core) or monopoly
status for incumbants (everybody's /56 came from the same /32) or mass route
pollution (everybody's /56 becomes a metro-area cutout).

but what if multihoming was automatic and universal and robust?  could a metro
or neighborhood get unrouteable / non-global IPv6 space for an ISO-L2 overlay
made up of a hairball of private wireless, private wire, private fiber, and
automatically use those addresses when talking to reachable endpoints?  (this
would require something better than RIPv2, so don't try it at home today!)

or what if a metropolitan connectivity authority wanted to get an IPv6 block
for all of its FTTH and mobile/wireless endpoints, and rather than buying
transit for this block, they set up a market of cooperating backbone operators
and consumers, doing IP-in-IP to deliver global reachability?  (this is like
what some 802 networks do today but wide area bridging does not scale well.)

i'm not proposing either of these, not exactly.  i'm saying there ought to
be room in the RIR allocation policy framework for addressing models that
are not dreamt of by those who love swamps and those who fear swamps.
--
Paul Vixie
KI6YSY