[arin-ppml] A modest proposal for IPv6 address allocations

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sat May 30 23:06:34 EDT 2009

William Herrin wrote:

> That having been said, I wouldn't be morally opposed to allowing
> entities which hold at least a /16 of IPv4 space to skip the /48 step
> and go straight to /32 if they want to and have been doing a
> responsible job with SWIP or RWHOIS.

Why do we believe that the past performance of users of IPv4 space is a
good predictor of future performance of users of IPv6 space?*

For all we know, the widest IPv6 deployment that ever happens may be by
someone nobody has ever heard of today.

Matthew Kaufman

*I can tell you that one of MY IPv4 transit providers was, a year ago,
unable to even tell me if they had an IPv6 plan and a few weeks ago was
able to tell me that they're thinking about IPv6 but have no idea when
it might be available.