[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sat May 30 22:49:05 EDT 2009

Garry Dolley wrote:

> For your lab scenario, the developer can use ULAs (Unique Local IPv6
> Addresses) [1].  Right now, ULAs is a proposed standard.

Those are guaranteed to be and stay globally unique, nor will they be
routeable at any future time. In my scenario the former is a requirement
and the latter is highly suggested. (Why? Well, it is my scenario, so I
get to set the rules. But seriously, I was doing IT work at a company
that wanted to give IPv6 addresses to every disk drive in a huge network
storage testbed, and wanted those to be globally unique, but the cost of
getting an end-user /48 was high enough that instead they just picked
some random prefix and used that. Some day they'll connect to the global
IPv6 Internet and we'll see how lucky their choice was.)

Matthew Kaufman