[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Sat May 30 20:34:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 09:02:57PM -0700, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Matthew Kaufman wrote:

>>> Absolutely, but should not be ARIN's problem. ARIN should make it
>>> possible for organizations (be they ISPs or not) to obtain unique
>>> allocations from ARIN's portion of the IPv6 address space. It should be
>>> easy to get allocations which are aggregated in such a way that they are
>>> less expensive to route, but that shouldn't drive policy.
>>
>> OK then taking that argument to it's logical conclusion then let's just
>> assign every last man and woman on the face of the earth an IPv6 number
>> drawn out of a random lottery pool and let them plug in and have at it!
> Well, you could do exactly that. And they could have their own chunk of
> IPv6 space *and* a separate, routeable PA address as well. And we *still*
> wouldn't run out.

Sure, you could make the assignment; but it would just be a dumb
number.  Current infrastructure wouldn't route it.

>>> No. We are asking ARIN to fairly allocate reasonably-sized parts of IPv6
>>> to entities that ask, in return for no more than reasonable compensation.
>>
>> A single snowflake by itself harms no one.
>>
>> A trillion snowflakes creates an avalanche that kills people.
> Lots of people having non-routeable or non-routed addresses isn't going to
> kill anyone.

The people who don't care about the routeability of their addresses
can just use ULAs [1].  I really don't see what the practical issue is.

> Heck, even a big explosion in routing table size won't kill anyone. Maybe
> someone will take the time to solve the problem more elegantly than it has
> been so far, and it won't even matter.

Then send me the cash to get SUP720-3BXL so I can hold up to a
million IPv6 routes in hardware.

Sure it won't kill anyone, but I'm not going to pay for your desire
for a /32; and why should anyone else?

1. RFC 4139, "Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4193

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181