[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sat May 30 17:44:54 EDT 2009

Member Services wrote:

> Policy Proposal Name: Open Access To IPv6
>
> Proposal Originator: Stacy Hughes and Cathy Aronson
>
> Proposal Version: 1.0
>
> Date: 29 May 2009
>
> Proposal type: modify
>
> Policy term: permanent
>
> Policy statement:
>
> 1) Remove “by advertising that connectivity through its single
> aggregated address allocation” from article 3 of section 6.5.1.1

I have mixed feelings on this. A large org that gets a /32 will likely
have multiple sites and may announce site aggregates carved from their
/32. On the other hand, I strongly feel that you should only announce
what your swip record says. There are already micro allocation policies
for critical infrastructure if you need to deaggregate.

I OPPOSE this change as written. I would support a change that adds "per
site" or some variation thereof.

> 2) Remove article 4 of section 6.5.1.1, “be an existing, known ISP in
> the ARIN region or have a plan for making at least 200 end-site
> assignments to other organizations within 5 years” in its entirety.
>
> Rationale: It is acknowledged that these concepts have been put before
> the community in the past. However, with the wisdom of actual
> operational experience, the necessity of promoting IPv6 adoption
> throughout our region, and emerging native v6 only network models, it
> becomes obvious that these modifications to the NRPM are necessary.
> Removing the 200 end site requirement enables smaller, but no less
> important and viable, networks access to IPv6. Removing the ‘known ISP’
> requirement enfranchises new, native v6 businesses that can drive
> innovation and expansion in the Internet industry, as well as other
> industries. Removing the requirement for a single aggregate announcement
> benefits the NRPM itself, as it has been decided by the community that
> it should not contain routing advice.

I OPPOSE this change because "smaller, but no less important and viable,
networks" can already apply for and obtain a /48 under existing policies.

~Seth