[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Sat May 30 17:28:03 EDT 2009

Garry Dolley wrote:

 > If we give a /32 to anyone who asks for it, I *guarantee* you that
 > major ISPs will stop accepting /32's.  There will be too many of
 > them.
 >
 >They'll take it down to /30s or /24s or something like that.

Can we get real here?  One of the problems of this one size
fits all is the rather concentrated distribution of prefix
sizes makes that strategy impractical in the extreme.  There
very well may be widespread filtering based on some other
metric but exclusion of all /32's is as good as turning the
(IPv6) Internet off.

> I want ARIN to put up the barrier to entry on /32 prefixes, because
> if they don't, the multi-million dollar ISPs will start making their
> own rules.

Do you have a proposed policy for how to establish that barrier?  Today
there is no barrier aside from the annual fee.  Anyone who can configure
a router to announce a /32 should be able to come up with a plan for
how to assign 200 end site prefixes, so that is certainly not a barrier.

Removing that farcical "requirement" from the policy document might
encourage network operators who do not already have a /32 to get one.

I am not worried about a flood of "kids" willing to pay $2250/yr for a
/32.  At some point in the future maybe, but not today.

Also, if you self-moderate your posting to about once per day you will
find that more people read what you have to say :)

- Kevin