[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Sat May 30 15:27:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:42:57PM -0700, Davis, Terry L wrote:
> Leo
>
> We've had our /32 for something like five years now and yes for enterprises it is certainly doable.
>
> But to get IPv6 implementations under way in the needed scale, we need to find a way to make it easily obtainable for at least education and small/startup businesses.

As with IPv4, the "easily obtainable" way for an organization to get
IPv6 address space that doesn't currently qualify for an ISP
allocation, is to get the address space from their upstream.  Once
the organization grows and can qualify for their own allocation from
ARIN, they can apply for one and renumber their network.

There is also the IPv6 End-User allocation, which is a viable
option as well (and we didn't really have this in IPv4, AFAIK,
except for the micro / experimental allocations, which I did not see
used much in practice)

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181