[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat May 30 14:42:52 EDT 2009

> I also believe that the popular press accounts of
> there being so many IPv6 addresses that they're essentially free conflict
> strongly with the current ARIN fee structure, which is another impediment to
> people who might otherwise experiment with IPv6 and build new business
> models around it.
>
> If there's really so many that that's true, anyone ought to
> be able to get some for approximately nothing. And if the
> counter-argument is that the administrative overhead is too high for
> that, then maybe more automation would be easier with a less-restrictive policy
> (such as this one).

I have become increasingly skeptical of the "atoms in the universe" understandings of IPv6 address availability. If you haven't already read it, here's a good corrective:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/05aug/IDs/draft-narten-iana-rir-ipv6-considerations-00.txt

Still, that issue (the size of initial allocations) is independent of the issue of whether they ought to be restricted to providers.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology