[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Fri May 29 19:30:51 EDT 2009

On 29/05/2009 3:37, "John Schnizlein" <schnizlein at isoc.org> wrote:

[...]

> But there is a whole (IPv4-scale) Internet's worth of class-A
> addresses to hand out.  Conserving addresses really matters MUCH less
> than default-free route-table size.  Thinking about need really has to
> shift when there really is no scarcity.

I wasn't trying to argue for more focus on conservation. I was trying to
point out that it is very difficult to maintain two separate policies for
two separate classes of organisations. Sometimes the edges get blurred and
it's hard to work out where someone fits and whether that is fair.

Does the provider/end user distinction make things easier or does it make
things harder? I suspect the latter.

Regards,

Leo