[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 29 18:03:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Policy Proposal Name: Open Access To IPv6
>
> 1) Remove “by advertising that connectivity through its single
> aggregated address allocation” from article 3 of section 6.5.1.1
>
> 2) Remove article 4 of section 6.5.1.1, “be an existing, known ISP in
> the ARIN region or have a plan for making at least 200 end-site
> assignments to other organizations within 5 years” in its entirety.

Stacy, Cathy:

Although I generally favor these changes, I'd like to see them tied to
a statement which restricts section 6.5.1 allocations to entities
which are multihomed with BGP or a comparable protocol. Routing slot
cost is a significant problem. Each entry in the IPv6 DFZ table adds
more than $10k per year to the cost of the global BGP system and we've
found no mechanism which allows that cost to be directly recovered
from the folks announcing each route.

I would also observe that article 3 of 6.5.1.1 would be less of a
problem if 6.5.8.1 was amended to permit /48 assignments to multihomed
entites regardless of size. For better or for worse, BGP
advertisements are presently the only multihoming mechanisms that work
in 100% of the use cases. No technology deployed or currently in the
pipeline has any prayer of changing that. Forcing small multihomed
entities to use a subset of one of their ISP's space creates a mess
with the filters: it makes it impossible to tell the difference
between a TE advertisement and a small multihomed customer which, if
your game is quality of service, makes it impractical to filter TE
advertisements.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004