[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri May 29 18:03:35 EDT 2009

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:04:31PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> We (my org) does not support this proposal as written.
>> Take the 200 end site assignments.  Granted, we are an existing
>> ISP so we can qual under the "known ISP" clause.  But, IMHO we
>> ALSO qualed under the "plan for making 200 assignments" simply
>> by virtue that WE HAVE MORE THAN 200 CUSTOMERS.
>> So, please explain in any logical fashion why any network with more
>> than 200 customers (or a plan for 200 customers in the next
>> 5 years) thinks it cannot meet that 200 customer IPv6
>> assignment requirement.
>
> Not every startup company or educational network is going to have 200
> customers, not necessarily even after several years.  Even NoX, the
> Boston/New England area Internet2 PoP, only has ~25 participants.
> Should they not be allowed to get a /32?

Their literature seems to indicate they are nothing more than a
kid of club and have no network infrastructure at all, so if that is
the case then quite obviously they should not get a /32

However if they are acting as an exchange point for those participants
then they should be obtaining IPv6 under the 6.10.1 section for micro
allocations.

Ted