[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri May 29 17:58:13 EDT 2009

Leo Bicknell wrote:

> The end user policy gives out /48's.  If we want folks to get a
> network they can play with in their garage, let's do it under the
> end user policy.  This policy proposal affects the ISP section,
> giving out /32's for the express purpose of assigning /48's to other
> entities.  Let's leave it for folks who are really ISP's, and really
> providing services to others.

Ah. "Folks who are really ISPs". This is as bad as the com-priv list in
1992... We *don't know* who is/will be "an ISP". A school district
providing service to all its schools? A corporation with a dozen
subsidiaries around the world? A guy in his garage who gives away free
wireless to his neighborhood?

Really there shouldn't even *be* a distinction. If you need a /whatever
of IPv6 and can write a convincing letter to that effect, you should be
able to get at least that much unique IPv6 space. Whether it can be
routed now or in the future is really between you and whichever transit
provider you choose *should you even need external connectivity*.

Matthew Kaufman