[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri May 29 17:33:08 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Simple.  Developer calls ISP and asks for IPv6.  ISP says not right now.
> Developer gives ISP reasonable amount of time to get IPv6.  ISP does
> not.  Developer calls ISP and cancels service and tells them they are
> cancelling because they are going down the street to a different ISP
> that IS supplying IPv6.
You're mixing up unique IPv6 address space and IPv6 connectivity to the
global IPv6 Internet.

Lets say, for instance, that Developer is working on a neat application
that could have millions of connected nodes, and they want some unique
address space assigned so they can start building that in their lab...

In 1990, the IPv4 answer was "you send some email explaining what you're
doing, and you get at least that much address space uniquely allocated
to you at no charge".

Here it is, almost 20 years later, and the IPv6 answer isn't nearly as
attractive. And we wonder why people aren't building neat new things
with it.

Matthew Kaufman