[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri May 29 17:08:17 EDT 2009

Davis, Terry L wrote:
> Michael
>
> At the present time, startups and small business cannot even actually get IPv6 addresses unless their ISP/s support IPv6.  This is seriously broken.

No, it is not.

> And yes I acknowledge that BGP can't tolerate the strain of individual allocations below a /32 (but that is another technical problem that we were going to fix 15 or so years ago).  A small business or startup does not even need a /48 (A Class B in v4 terms) but we have no way to tackle that yet.
>
> Simply we need a way to get IPv6 addresses into the hands of developers somehow.

Simple.  Developer calls ISP and asks for IPv6.  ISP says not right now.
Developer gives ISP reasonable amount of time to get IPv6.  ISP does
not.  Developer calls ISP and cancels service and tells them they are
cancelling because they are going down the street to a different ISP
that IS supplying IPv6.

Ted