[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri May 29 15:43:47 EDT 2009

> Back in the (actually not so) early IPv4 days, I got an IPv4
> /24 for my house. My friends and I learned a whole lot about
> setting up IP networks using our real-world address. Didn't
> cost us a cent, and many of us have gone on to do more
> interesting things in the Internet world.
>
> Today, if my kids wanted to get a real IPv6 /32 to play with,
> they'd have to pay a bunch of money and fill out a bunch of
> paperwork. So they won't be doing that. Even though there's
> plenty of IPv6 space for everyone on the planet to play.

Your kids could get all the fun of IPv6 including BGP routing
by using a /48. There is no need to give out /32s to kids who
want to learn since a /48 is very subnettable. IPv6 is not IPv4.

> Either we want to encourage adoption or we want to keep this
> as tightly controlled as IPv4 has become. The former seems
> like a better idea, given how IPv4 is going.

We can't encourage adoption through policies because very few
people even know what ARIN is, let alone what its policies are.
The only way to encourage adoption is through marketing and
promotion, which ARIN does do, but which are not part of
policymaking.

If the policy is an actual barrier, real or percieved, to
IPv6 adoption, then it does make sense to adjust the policy,
but I strongly disagree with discarding the policy entirely.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. tell your kids to apply for a PI /48 allocation and
enjoy the fun.