[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 29 13:42:53 EDT 2009

In a message written on Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:14:45AM -0400, Member Services wrote:
> 1) Remove ?by advertising that connectivity through its single
> aggregated address allocation? from article 3 of section 6.5.1.1
>
> 2) Remove article 4 of section 6.5.1.1, ?be an existing, known ISP in
> the ARIN region or have a plan for making at least 200 end-site
> assignments to other organizations within 5 years? in its entirety.

I fear the way this is written may be confusing.  Section 6.5.1.1 is at
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six511

If these changes were made, I believe the section would then read:

  6.5.1.1. Initial allocation criteria

  To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an
  organization must:

   1. be an LIR;
   2. not be an end site;
   3. plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
      will assign IPv6 address space.

I would like to make two comments as a result.

Criteria #1 doesn't make a lot of sense.  If you were a new participant
(no IPv4 or IPv6 resources at all) and going only for IPv6 then you
aren't an LIR yet, indeed, you are trying to become one.  I think,
but cannot be sure, that the LIR reference has to do with fee/membership
structures of other RIR's.

The result of this policy is basically you get an allocation if you
want one and can show you will provide IPv6 to another entity and
are willing to pay the fees.  This is too loose of a standard.
While I believe we should be giving out IPv6 relatively easily and
there is no danger in running out of the numbers that does not mean
we don't still have the issue of routing slots, staff to deal with
the number of requests, and other issues.

To that end, I would like to suggest a new criteria:

  - Plan to announce the IPv6 address space provided to at least
    two other autonomous systems.

Basically, setting the bar at being multi-homed to BGP speaking
networks.  No number of sites requirement, you only need 1 customer
to meet the customer requirement.