[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri May 29 12:45:56 EDT 2009

On 29 May 2009 Joe Provo wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 08:58:49AM -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> > Member Services wrote:
> [snip]
> > > 1) Remove ???by advertising that connectivity through its single
> > > aggregated address allocation??? from article 3 of section 6.5.1.1
> >
> > What's the rationale for this proposed change?
>
> It better reflects the reality of the meshy global Internet where
> aggregated trunk, backbone-only providers are a rare and dying breed.

Additionally, I believe it may remove the need for for proposal
84.  IPv6 Multiple Discrete Networks.  What to those that
support that proposal think?

Honestly, I would prefer people deaggregate their /32 rather
then getting multiple /32s.  It might be possible in some cases
to reaggregate the /32 in the future or in other network that
want/can manage there route table more than others.  But it
wouldn't be very likely that you could ever aggregate separate
/32s once they were assigned.

So I believe we should eliminate the requirement, but honestly
I'd like something like the following to remain "If technically
possible an overall aggregate should be announced in addition
to any shorter routes".  I'd still like the general expectation to
be that you announce an aggregate if you can.

Overall I support this proposal.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818