[arin-ppml] 2009-1 comment

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu May 28 11:28:35 EDT 2009

> however, the board ratified 2008-6 on february 6
> 2009 based on our belief that the policy development process had been
> followed.  i've learned nothing since then to indicate otherwise.  so, 2008-6
> will go into effect june 1 unless amended (for example, by 2009-1.)

After re-reviewing 2009-1 and 2008-6, it's pretty clear that there's nothing wrong with 2008-6 and that 2009-1 was far more controversial and non-consensual. 2008-6 opens the door for the kind of transfers that adhere to the traditional "need" criteria while giving those with unneeded resources an incentive to release them. that's all that needs to be done at this point. RIPE has already done it, and the sky hasn't fallen. I support moving on with it, and would oppose any effort to reopen the issue until and unless the passed policy has actually been implemented long enough to assess its results.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology