[arin-ppml] 2009-1 comment

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Wed May 27 19:32:15 EDT 2009

brian johnson wrote:

> From: bjohnson at drtel.com ("Brian Johnson")
> Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:35:01 -0500
>
> Paul,
>
> Is 2008-6 receiving wide approval by the community? Does this policy
> coincide with the ARIN charter and the goals of the organization?
>
> Perhaps this is the issue?
>
> Just my .02
>
> - Brian

from what i can see here, some members of the community were unaware of
2008-6 when it was being developed, and some remain unaware that it was
passed.  i don't know what that means with respect to wide approval by the
community.  however, the board ratified 2008-6 on february 6 2009 based on
our belief that the policy development process had been followed.  i've
learned nothing since then to indicate otherwise.  so, 2008-6 will go into
effect june 1 unless amended (for example, by 2009-1.)

for anyone caught unaware by the passage of 2008-6, i suggest two things.

first, help us improve community participation in the policy development
process.  that could mean becoming more engaged yourselves, but it could
also mean getting people you know who ought to be here, to subscribe to
the PPML also and if possible attend ARIN public policy meetings.  it may
also mean suggesting improvements to streamline the policy development
process so as to encourage even greater community participation therein.

second, consider authoring new policies to amend or redact any part of
the NRPM that you think are incomplete or wrongheaded.  (for example, some
here think that 2008-6 added text to the NRPM that is incomplete, and some
think that 2008-6 added text to the NRPM that is wrongheaded.)  the NRPM
is supposed to reflect the community's consensus on "the right policy."
if that's not happening, then what we need is: more policy proposals.

paul vixie
chairman
ARIN BoT