[arin-ppml] 2009-1 comment

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue May 26 18:25:06 EDT 2009

Kevin,

Section 8.3 is supose to apply only to IPv4, Section 8.2, applies to IPv6, and
ASNs, as well as IPv4.  So do you want 8.3 to apply to IPv6 and ASNs too?
If we made that change then you would be correct that Section 8.2 would
superfluous.  But as written in the text recommended by the AC, 8.2 is not
superfluous, and is very much needed in order to transact transfers for IPv6
and ASNs in the case of change of ownership.

On 26 May 2009 Kevin Kargel wrote:

> Being that 2009-1 is listed as under discussion on ppml on
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html, I want to make
> another comment.  Section 8-2 is make completely superfluous as any
> transfers for the purpose of mergers and acquisitions could just as
> easily be handled under the sell it to anyone you want clauses in
> section 8-3.
>
> If you can sell IP addresses (transfer for monetary consideration if
> you don't like the word sell) to anyone for any reason, adding
> criteria to transfer address space for specific purposes already
> covered by the general clause is unnecessary. Either section 8-2 or
> 8-3 should be stricken from the proposal, as the inclusion of both is
> excessive and redundant verbiage.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818