[arin-ppml] Will the price per IP really be affectedby thetransfer market introduced in 2009-1?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri May 15 15:45:58 EDT 2009

Not true.  Home listing prices affect prices that home sellers set.
If a lot of homes in an area are fetching 1 million, even though
it may take a year on the market to do it, most sellers are not going
to list their property at $800K even though doing so would result
in an immediate sale.

There are actually a handful of housing markets - like Detroit - that
DO follow standard market demand.  In those markets it's not uncommon
for homes to sell at a dollar.  Yes, ONE US dollar.

> If I want
> to ask $2million for my 2 year old chevy I can do that, I
> won't sell it, and it does not establish the price for two
> year old chevy's at 2 million.

That's because many 2 year old chevys exactly like your chevy are
available.  Homes are different, in one respect every one of them is unique,
even in developments where all of them have the same floor plan,
some face east, others west, some are closer to the main road, etc.
However in another respect they are not, because their prices are
loosly related to each other in a given area.

It remains to be seen how much a "special" market that IPv4 sales
will be.

Ted