[arin-ppml] Will the price per IP really be affected bythetransfer market introduced in 2009-1?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 15 12:24:59 EDT 2009

Kevin Kargel wrote:
> [...]

It's not at _exactly_ the same time.  Even a few minutes is enough for
one manager to see what the other manager has done and respond accordingly.

> How does that happen if they don't discuss it "ahead of time".

Manager A knows that manager B puts up his price at a particular time,
so he looks over at that time, watches what price goes up, and walks out
to put up his own new price (either the same or a penny less).

> I find it hard to believe that at 2AM there are 200 managers driving around town to check 200 gas stations so they can set their prices.  The price changes don't ripple out, they toggle at the same time.

I seriously doubt that all 200 gas stations in your town have exactly
the same price every single day.  However, they're all getting similar
pricing information from their upstream suppliers, so it's not
surprising that they tend to move in tandem most of the time.

Here, there are thousands of gas stations, but each intersection appears
to operate as a mostly-independent market; one manager puts up his
price, and the others change theirs a few minutes later.  What happens
at one intersection is only very loosely correlated with other
intersections, but that's undoubtedly an effect of having 2-4 gas
stations at each intersection, as opposed to having them distributed
evenly all over town where it'd be much harder to determine who's
responding to whom.

> Besides, if everyone picks one station to set the standard and they all
> agree "ahead of time" to match that station, isn't that the same collusion?

That would be collusion, but that isn't what they're doing.  Each
manager makes an independent decision to match or undercut the other
stations, and who makes the first move each day usually varies in
practice.  However, even if it's always the same guy who moves first, as
long as the various managers haven't _met_ ahead of time and _agreed_ to
match his price, it's still legal.  That might be a frequent result, but
absent a meeting and an agreement, it's not price-fixing.

This is why proving price-fixing cases is so difficult: rational
independent behavior looks pretty much the same as collusion in a highly
competitive, commodity market.  What matters is whether the behavior is
independent, not whether it happens to be uniform, and to disprove
independence, you have to prove a meeting was held and an agreement was
made.

Getting back on topic, if we all agreed that we'd raise our rates $1/mo
to cover the cost of buying IPv4 addresses on the market, that'd be
illegal.  However, if one provider is forced to raise their rates $1/mo,
and the next day all the others decide that means they can raise their
rate as well, that's legal.