[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy-Revised andforwarded to the Board

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 11 14:45:05 EDT 2009

Obtaining more IP numbers from one of your upstreams is always
going to be an option.  Yes it will be more costly.  But if a
small ISP that is out of IPv4 and can't get more of it cannot
afford to "buy" IPv4 from a transfer market, (likely because
the minimum block of IPv4 will be too large for them) they can
go to their upstream who can likely afford to buy that large block
then split it up.

One of the biggest reasons small ISP's get portable numbers is
to untie the non-portable numbers handcuffs to allow them to
comparison shop from among larger networks.  It is perfectly
reasonable post-IPv4 runout for an ISP to tell all NEW IPv4
customers that they can still get IPv4 but the ISP can require
them to renumber at any time.  (such as if they change upstreams)

Ted