[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 8 14:18:22 EDT 2009

Joe Maimon wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>
>> No. I'm saying that the ones who deliver stateful firewalled service to a large base of customers using global IPs instead of private IPs, and who deliberately built it that way just in the last couple of years did so knowing the score.
>>

> I suppose in this definition, hoarding would be exposed by assigning a non trivial dollar value to each address.
>
> Then you would see where it was really necessary and justified and where
> it would be engineered out.
>
> In other words inefficiency is only relevant in a cost versus benefit
> scenario.

Indeed.  Right now, the cost of inefficiency is zero and the benefit to
fixing it is zero, while the cost of fixing it is usually nonzero.  It's
not surprising that we've seen the results we have.  Attach a monetary
value to the resource, though, and the entire picture changes.

>> and then move the addresses to more valuable
>> uses within the company. I'll be able to say, "I told you so," but I
>> won't be able to prove that the six-figures-paid address administrator
>> over at my favorite vendor added two plus two several years ahead of
>> the deadline.
>>

> If we can figure out justifiable within-the-norm behavior right now that can reap large benefits later, so can they. In fact they would be remiss to not do so.
>
> Just to be helpful to all these large companies, I will try to clarify some modes of this behavior.
>
> * ignoring dead and underutilized customer space
> * taking customer space request at near face value
> * no verification of customer space utilization
> * /30 on serials instead of /31, unnumbered, rfc1918
> * all other underutilization and dont say they dont exist.

Much of the blame for underutilization and "waste" is placed on end-user
orgs with legacy space, and for them I'll add another category:

* Excess space that was justified at the time issued but would not be
today, due to policy changes

That is a _huge_ consumer of space -- several /8s and thousands of /16s.