[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Extend 16 bit ASN Assignments

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 7 17:14:31 EDT 2009

In a message written on Thu, May 07, 2009 at 03:57:03PM -0500, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> My understanding of the current Cisco code we are using {12.2(33)} is that
> it will route with 32bit ASN's it gets from BGP with no issue, but that I
> can only enter a 16 bit ASN in to my config.  I haven't quite figured out
> why this disparity exists.

The answer is, "it's complicated."

Google for "ASN 23456" to get some of the information.  The short
form is that a 32 bit ASN can pass through a 16 bit ASN only network
by using ASN 23456 and some transitional magic.

Lots of people who think they need /all/ of their devices to support
32 bit ASN's do not, although depending on how you use these
transition mechanisms it may complicate your path to move to 32 bit
clean code.