[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revisedandforwarded to the Board

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu May 7 11:26:53 EDT 2009

We have had this discussion before and beat it soundly to death.  A great
many organizations (such as ISP's) cannot successfully deploy NAT to their
customers.  Reasonable configurations of NAT break many p2p applications
that are demanded by customers.

Residential customers demand that now common applications such as IM file
transfers, p2p file sharing (not always bad or illegal), VOIP, remote
desktop all work without needing to do custom configurations or silly router
tricks.  The customers demand that these things work out of the box.

Also remember that what we commonly call NAT is actually PAT, and operates
differently.

A single PAT at a residential installation where no more than one instance
of an application will be running will work with minimal configuration.  The
rub comes in when you try to put dozens, or even thousands of customers who
could all be running the same application behind one IP address.  This can
be resolved by putting RFC1918 addresses behind a pool of public addresses
in a 1-1 relationship, but then there is no conservative gain.

Can tech savvy customers do custom configurations so that these apps work?
Sure.  Are they willing to do so?  Nope.  Will they take their business next
door where it will work?  You bet.

NAT is a reasonable conservation solution for corporate enterprises, but not
globally for end user transit providers (ISP's).  ISP's are huge consumers
of IPv4.