[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu May 7 00:41:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Martin Hannigan
<martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> While you're right that I don't have internal company knowledge, I do
>> have one of the vendor's phones using one of the hoarded IP addresses
>> and I've done enough testing with it to confirm that its only capable
>> of initiating connections outbound to the Internet, the key criteria
>> for a NAT-compatible device. Inbound connections are blocked, not by
>> the device but by the vendor's upstream firewall.
>>
>> A big part of my point was that many of the obvious and egregious
>> cases of hoarding are specifically *not* instances of fraud. My
>> favorite vendor is hoarding, apparently in meticulous compliance with
>> all applicable policies.
>
> Trying to tell us that technology limitations = hoarding is not helpful.

Martin,

NAT = conserves IP addresses.
Meets criteria for NAT-compatible device = could be built with NAT
Not built with NAT + millions of devices = consumes millions of IP addresses
Not built with NAT + could be + consumes millions = hoarding

If you got "technology limitations = hoarding" from that, you ain't
readin' it right.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004