[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy -Revised andforwarded to the Board

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed May 6 13:13:51 EDT 2009

> Looking back on some old IP assignments that were allocated
> to us and others I have dealt with by providers over the
> years I can say that there are a lot of old blocks not being
> reallocated to other customers. Some of these have not been
> active in over 6 years. And this is not for just a /29 or
> something. We are talking multiple /24 and better.

Sloppy management of addresses. That is why ARIN is now
going to require a corporate officer to attest to any
address usage reports. That should trigger companies to
do proper audits, with trained auditors, and that will
uncover the slop which they will then recover and reuse
internally.

ARIN is powerless to do anything with those "lost" addresses.
The best case scenario is that all the ISPs discover the
wealth that they have in-house and make use of it to cover
the gap until IPv6 is fully deployed. After that it won't
matter anymore.

--Michael Dillon