[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy ?Revisedandforwarded to the Board

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed May 6 04:27:53 EDT 2009

> The sunset clause was about building trust.  It was about
> finding a compromise that brought everyone under the same
> tent.  It was a promise to the unsure that there would be a
> top-to-bottom review.

Wait a minute, that is not a sunset clause, that is a review
date. A sunset clause says that something will end on that
date, period. No review. No renewal. Nothing.

If you want some kind of policy that includes a built-in reveiew
date then please say so in plain English and don't pussyfoot
around with redefining the meaning of words and pompous
language. Instead of attaching an explanation of what you mean,
hone the wording of the policy until it is clear and
and unambiguous.

> These events have left me smarter though.  I now realize
> sunset provisions don't work.

Yes they do. After the sunset date, the policy or law is no
longer operative.

>  The promise of a comprehensive
> review, on a timetable, has already been broken.

That is not a sunset clause.

--Michael Dillon