[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised and forwarded to the Board

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue May 5 15:50:39 EDT 2009

kkargel at polartel.com ("Kevin Kargel") writes:

> I agree that this version of 2009-1 is much better than the last.
>
> I still believe that section 8.3 establishes a de facto commodities
> market in IPv4 addresses.  It is still my opinion that any IP addresses
> surrendered should be made available to the community as a whole.
>
> Allowing specified recipients destroys the level playing field and will
> hurt the community.
>
> We are inviting speculators to take control of IP allocations, and
> allowing the establishment of IP brokerage houses. This is not a good
> thing for anyone except the profit takers that will take advantage of it.

kevin, can you look at <https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2008_6.html>,
and tell us whether this policy (which has been adopted but not implemented)
also appears to have the flaw you're describing here?  2009-1 is a cleanup
of 2008-6, so if you're objecting to specified recipients in 2009-1, then i
wonder if you also object to specified recipients in 2008-6 (as adopted)?
--
Paul Vixie
Chair, ARIN BoT