[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy – Revised and forwarded to the Board

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon May 4 13:04:52 EDT 2009

This is completely restating the whole Transfer section of the NRPM, section
#8, including the Transfers that are allowed today in the current NRPM.

Section 8.2 "Mergers and Acquisitions", actually does apply to all number
resources including IPv6 and ASNs as it should.  This section is in the NPRM
today and it currently applies to IPv4, IPv6, and ASNs.  If you buy a company
or merge with another company you need to be able to transfer the
resources of the company to the new company, including IPv6 and ASNs.
This constitutes nothing new, it simple does some minor edits and
reorganization of the NRPM text.

Section 8.3 "Transfers to Specified Recipients", is unambiguous to me, it
only applies to IPv4.  This is what is actually new and constitutes a more
liberal transfer policy for IPv4 only, etc...

Hope that helps;

On 4 May 2009 Joe Miller wrote:

> I think this is a much better version of the policy than anything else
> that has been presented so far.  This draft specifies IPv4 now, but I
> would still like to see additional language making the policy less
> ambiguous with respect to pertaining to IPv4 versus IPv6.

> --joe

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818