[arin-ppml] Effect of ARIN's Letters

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 17:46:06 EDT 2009

I have discussed IPv6 with people from most big ISPs, including telcos, and essentially all of them are planning for IPv6.  None of them believes that their IPv4 size will sustain them through the depletion of unassigned IPv4..  Admittedly, some are not as far along as they'd like, either in planning or in capital spending.

I don't understand what ASN database you mean, and I don't know how ARIN and ICANN could effect a sunset.  Could you suggest details?

What problems do you see with BGP with IPv6?   It might be appropriate to raise them at the IRTF's Routing Research Group, or in one of the IETF's Routing Area WGs.  (Internet search to find them)

What do you want ARIN to "open back up"?  Do you think the requirements for an IPv6 allocation or 32-bit ASN are too strict?  What would you propose?

Lee