[arin-ppml] How hard is it to transition to IPv6?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 27 19:30:02 EDT 2009

>     That is an interesting choice of words.  I don't know
> what kind of people you work for/with (I assume from your
> email address BT) but I can tell you that if I told my
> customers, who are ISPs, that they should stop "complaining"
> because they were "negligent" the response wouldn't be all
> that friendly.

That is an ad hominem attack and is not allowed on the ARIN
policy discussion lists. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I don't speak for BT or any other company who hosts one of
my three email addresses. Why would you think otherwise?
Do you think that the only people on this list are owner
operators of their own business.

And read my email again, carefully this time. In effect, I told
the customers of all ISPs, not just one ISP, that they SHOULD
complain about their ISP supplier's negligence if that ISP
supplier does not provide satisfactory timelines for IPv6 support.
If you are signing two year contracts, then you might get one
more renegotiation cycle before IPv4 runs out. If you are signing
on for three years, you might not get a chance until it is
too late, which means that NOW IS THE TIME TO TALK TO ALL OF
YOUR SUPPLIERS of network services and network equipment and
network software. This is simple reasoning based on the
projected runout dates.

This is typical of ad hominem attacks. You haven't even read
my message correctly. I've noticed a similar thing in postings
that complain about grammar and spelling.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. companies don't participate on PPML, people do.

P.P.S. My employer BT has at least one ISP customer who is complaining
that we haven't got full IPv6 support soon enough. This is good. It
helps
us to do the right thing. Arguing about IPv6 in industry fora is lots of

fun but does not lead to the right results. The only dialog that will
help
you get what you need to fully deploy IPv6 is dialog with your
suppliers.
If you aren't already engaged in that dialog this late in the game then
you definitely should be complaining to suppliers, raising ruckus with
them, escalating it with them and suing them if necessary.

Here, read about what happens when a customer complains, down near
the bottom of this page <http://www.aaisp.net.uk/news-ipv6.html>