[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-4: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Fri Mar 27 16:40:08 EDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Member Services wrote:
> 4.X.4 Address Block Management
>
> ARIN may not offer a partial fill, that is provide a block
> smaller than the one for which the requester was approved.
>
> ARIN may split recovered blocks into multiple smaller blocks
> at the staff's discretion using the following principals:
> - It is unlikely a request will be made for the address
> block size involved in the next 60 days.
> - The block is divided into as few parts as practical.
> - There are enough bids to allow the entire block to be
> allocated.

Without having yet a final opinion on the policy, if I did support it
I would offer that this entire section should be deleted. What if they
have a need but only for 7/8ths of the block.  Could they not use it?
That's downright silly.   There's no need to micro-manage the day-to-
day workings of ARIN.

> 4.X.5 Transparency
>
> ARIN staff shall make public the current and historical
> prices of asks, bids, and executed transactions in a manor
> that facilitates the bidding process.

Is this a country property we'll be visiting to view the
transactions?  Or do you mean "manner"?   And frankly, "a manner" is
pretty wide open.  Let's be explicit: "Will publish ... available
to ..."

> ARIN may:
> - Use ARIN funds to reclaim blocks when there is no specific
> demand; if such reclamation is deemed in the best interest
> of the community and there is a significant likelyhood of
> future demand.
> - Use a portion of the funds collected under this program
> to pay for the implementation of this program.

Even if I thought this was a good idea, the above paragraph would make
me reconsider it.  So for right now, I think I'm against this policy.
ARIN has enough to do without trying to be and play a market.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation