[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy (Using the Emergency PDP)
In a message written on Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:15:32PM -0400, John Curran wrote:
> As noted in Daniel's message, the material change made to the
> transfer policy by the ARIN Board is removal of the 3 year
> sunset clause. It was the consensus of the Board that this did
> not materially improve the usefulness of the 2008-6, created
> uncertainty for the community, and most importantly represented
> a dangerous precedent of time-based expirations of policy clauses.
I find it difficult to understand how a well defined date creates
uncertainty, and we in fact already have accepted policies with
time based expirations:
Indeed, in that policy as in 2008-6 the dates provide for easy to
understand limits for the community and it's easy to argue that
those limits in 2005-9 have worked amazingly well. In that case
vendors delivered the features around the time the policy required
However, you've managed to avoid addressing the largest issue. If
this was such a problem that the Board could not pass a policy with
a time-based expiration and there was an "emergency need" to get
this right why was the Board in whole or as individuals unable to
articulate this problem at the last meeting, on PPML, or in a private
briefing to the AC? Why does the community find out about this
major, emergency concern at the 11th hour, and as a result only has
14 days on PPML to discuss it and come up with a solution.
If the sunset provision was a fatal flaw that should have been
interjected into the process weeks or months ago.
> At present, the Board has one tool at its disposal for timely
> modification of policy language, and that is use of the emergency
> policy process. The Board has already indicated the urgent need
> for a transfer policy and due to the timeliness of the situation,
> it was determined that the best course of action was proceed and
> use to emergency policy process to promptly remove the sunset
> clause rather than risk continued delay of the transfer policy
> via referral back to the AC.
Given the proximity of the ARIN XXIII meeting I think it would be
irresponsible for the Board to take any action on this policy prior
to it being discussed in a public forum. To implement a policy a
few weeks prior to a face to face meeting would be a slap in the
face to the community. Unfortunately as far as I can tell the
process at this point requires the AC and the Board to move on the
policy prior to the face to face meeting.
The Board should not be surprising the community. Ever.
Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 187 bytes
Desc: not available