[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Transfer listingservice

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Sat Jun 13 03:24:51 EDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 10:32 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> [...]

I agree entirely on that count, but wonder if that should be the
primary determinant for which way to come down on this question (?).

If Kevin is right, then both ARIN the institution and "the industry"
-- including every ARIN member -- is facing a choice much like
Pascal's Wager:

1. What does (my company) stand to gain, or alternately lose, by
assuming the best possible outcome and acting accordingly (i.e., doing
nothing)?
2. What does (my company) stand to gain, or alternately lose, by
taking positive action sooner rather than later, to hedge against
something other than the best possible outcome?

3,4...? Repeat as necessary, replacing "my company" with any other
nouns for which the same questions would seem to apply (e.g., the
industry, the Internet, ARIN, future generations, etc.)...

I don't know, maybe all relevant questions have already been answered,
or rendered moot, by the transfer decision itself. However, Scott's
recent proposals seem to suggest otherwise.

TV