[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

lar at mwtcorp.net lar at mwtcorp.net
Wed Jun 10 15:07:42 EDT 2009

      Larry,

     The FCC does not require you to publicly reveal information about your
     telephone subscribers, but they do require you to let your customer
     take their "network address" with them to the next service provider.
     As an ISP, would you care to trade one privilege for the other?

My point was the the FCC prohibited me from making some information public.
(Not IP at this time)
Even I am not allowed to use some information I have to market unrelated
services
to my customers.

My point was better expressed by others. What ARIN wants doesn't
make much difference to me if it would put me in violation of Regulators or
when requested by a customer that has a legitimate reason for the request.
A Home for Battered Women has requested that I not publish their address
anywhere to protect the safety of their clients. I don't care what the
policy
is I'm not publishing that address. I don't think you have a need to know in
this
case.

I feel the proposal aligns ARIN's policy more closely with real practice.
Build
guidelines if you want but I think it would be too messy to be of much
value.

Don't kid about IP number portability. I fully expect some congressman to
decide
that it's a right. After all if the phone company can do it why not the
internet?
Anything is possible all you have to do is pass a law.

Larry Ash
Network Administrator
Mountain West Telephone
400 East 1st St.