[arin-ppml] Large hole in IPv6 assignment logic

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Jun 8 19:51:39 EDT 2009

Dave Temkin wrote:
> I'm going to attempt to keep this brief, but here goes:
>
> Recently, I received a /48.  After beginning our rollout, I quickly
> discovered that we'd need a /44 at the very least.  See, I have
> multiple networks that are not interconnected by a common backbone,
> and so a single /48 would leave me with a useless routing domain given
> that most people prefix filter at le /48.

That's an understandable and very specific problem.  Thanks!

> Currently, each OrgID is entitled to only one /48.

An org is entitled to one /48 _without justification_, and there is a
specific rule on what constitutes justification for more.  According to
ARIN's stats, several blocks from /47 to /40 have been assigned, so it
is indeed possible:
https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/statistics.pdf

> Under IPv4, if you operate separate, disparate networks you're allowed
> to request multiple blocks under the Multiple Discrete Networks
> policy.  No such policy exists for IPv6, however it's been proposed
> here:  https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six583

I think you mean:
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2009-March/013129.html

> I'd love to hear suggestions on workarounds until such the proposed
> policy would be voted on and implemented. PA addressing is not a
> viable option.

I can't think of any workarounds if you do not meet the existing policy
requirements in 6.5.8.3.

> If we expect IPv6 adoption to have a significant uptick we need to
> take away silly barriers to addressing such as this and make address
> assignments accessible for the common ASP or Enterprise - and right
> now it's definitely not.

Many of us are working towards exactly that goal, but we need to know
what the barriers are to legitimate assignments/allocations and how we
can address them without simply opening the floodgates to _everyone_
getting a block -- and a routing slot in the DFZ.