[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Predicable IPv4 Run Out by Prefix Size

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Jun 8 17:06:01 EDT 2009

Member Services wrote:

> This proposal is in the first stage of the Policy Development Process.
> ARIN staff will perform the Clarity and Understanding step. Staff does
> not evaluate the proposal at this time, their goal is to make sure that
> they understand the proposal and believe the community will as well.
> Staff will report their results to the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) within
> 10 days.

Can we somehow provide some clarity sooner rather than later?  At a high
level, is this policy proposal really suggesting that 4-7 large-enough
ISPs could wipe out all of ARIN's IPv4 free pool?  At a lower level, the
composition of this proposal hurts my head, with things like "insure"
vs. "ensure", or "at least until the maximum equals the minimum
allocation or assignment size".

Pete