[arin-ppml] A modest proposal for IPv6 address allocations

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Jun 5 06:19:36 EDT 2009

> 	why do you think that address consumption is related to
> 	the number of people?  as a referent, check out the
> 	"Internet of Things" ((IOT)) stuff.

The number of end-sites is roughly related to the number
of people, i.e. with a population of 5 billion, there are
unlikely to be more than 5 billion endsites. At any given
site there could be hundreds of thousands of devices/things
but that won't consume any more prefixes than a single PC.
We don't count IPv6 addresses, we count subnets and
endsite allocations.

Anything like a business premises or a cellphone tower
is a piece of infrastructure that serves a large number
of people, therefore it is hard to see how the number
of these sites could be any significant proportion of
the total population.

--Michael Dillon