[arin-ppml] FW: Rationale for /22

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Wed Jul 29 14:21:54 EDT 2009

> I think it's more about what I see of your customer's routes.  If you
> announce a /20 and your customer via another provider announces a /23 I
> will always prefer that path.  So, my bits (and your revenue) will go to
> the other provider.
>
> Mike

Which is absolutely fine by me if that's the way they want to balance their
traffic.  My revenue is the same whether his circuit is 1% or 99% utilized.
I don't understand why you would have a problem with it?

If any of my upstream providers dictated that my traffic had to go through
them things would get exciting real quick, or I would have a different
provider.  This would be especially true in the case of a burstable circuit.

I have never had an upstream provider complain because my circuit was
under-utilized.