[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Jul 28 14:53:29 EDT 2009

> Doesn't this nullify the first point?  i.e. ARIN shouldn't allocate /24s,
> because we want people to be able to filter on RIR allocation minimums
> without losing reachability.  We already know that doesn't work without
> default routing.
>
> What other real world reason is there for not lowering the bar to /24?

>   Jon Lewis                   |  I route
>   Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
>   Atlantic Net                |

Of course all this is almost moot as ARIN isn't supposed to write routing
policy.  ARIN can write allocation policy and the routing world can do what
they will with it.

Just because ARIN may allocate a /24 doesn't mean the world has to route it.
Even were a /24 not globally routable there may be perfectly valuable
reasons why an Org may want a globally unique albeit globally unrouteable
netblock.  PeerOrg to PeerOrg routing comes to mind as one scenario.