[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jul 27 15:30:18 EDT 2009

How I always understood it is that the idea was that it's pretty
easy to get /24's from just about any commercial ISP, and even /23's
from most commercial ISPs, - at least, definitely from anyone large
enough to make it worth a large org's time to buy service from.

Thus, if the commercial ISP who assigned the /24 or /23 to a
multihomed org regards it as "golden handcuffs" and starts screwing the
org for inordinate amounts of money, it would not be a huge amount of
difficulty for the org to explain to the screwing ISP that there's
plenty other ISP's out there they can get service from.  Renumbering
a /24 or /23 isn't that difficult.

Once you start getting bigger than a /23 then renumbering becomes
much more difficult thus those golden handcuffs actually start
to have some teeth.

Use of NAT really is tangential to this.  Your either renumbering
your NAT devices or your individually assigned hosts.

The end of IPv4 assignments from the RIR's probably means, if
your a multihomed org with a /23 or /24, your probably going to
be locked into your current providers, so you better get cracking
on IPv6.  Thus you might consider going to at least one upstream
who actually supports IPv6 natively, now, particularly if they can
give you a /23 or /24 since it's for damn sure that if whoever
has assigned you a /23 or /24 doesn't have IPv6 now, they sure
as heck will want to drag their feet on offering it in the future
when you can't go anywhere else for IPv4 numbers.

Ted