[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Joe Pruett joey at spiretech.com
Wed Jan 28 12:09:31 EST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Wettling, Fred wrote:

>  It would appear that a lot of problems and potential problems would
>  evaporate if carriers & service providers would simply provide native
>  dual-stack to the prem - home & office.  Latest computer operating systems
>  already have IPv6 turned on by default.  Positioning residential customers
>  for the future is important.  CPE devices sold / rented by service providers
>  could help the transition... like the DOCSIS 3.0-based Motorola Surfboard

think of all the devices inside the network that are v4 only and will probably
never have v6.  tivo, xbox, wii, webcam, x10 gateway, voip adapter, etc.  some
of those will eventually have a need to talk to a v6 only device.  if we can
fit a v6<->v4 nat system into all home gateways, then maybe we have a chance,
but that is quite a bit of work for those small boxes to handle because of the
need to proxy dns at the very least, and ftp, sip, etc to give the best
behavior.