[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyforIPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Jan 3 21:26:11 EST 2009

On 1/3/09, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
> .... cja at daydream.com...wrote...
>  I guess I am still waiting for someone to come up with the killer
>  application for IPv6.  Or a marketing scheme... get this new
>  service/speed/whatever if you sign up for IPv6.  Of course you have to have
>  IPv6 deployed to sell it as part of a service.
>  *************
>  Seems to me the sell is... the future comes with IPv6...we(as an ISP) offer
> that service now.. if you want to be part of the future, come with us....
>  (then a little FUD about what happens if you don't get on board) ;-)

As I've noticed during the "IPv6 hour" at NANOG, attempting to use that
"future" at this moment in the present leads to a woefully underwhelming
user experience.  Running dual-stack v4/v6 or worse, v6 only, leads to
a much poorer user experience than running in a v4-only environment.

It's a very tough sell to pitch to your customers: "hey, the future is IPv6;
come sign up for our future-proofed dual-stack offering; it still burns IPv4
addresses, so it doesn't help the runout period, but at least you can
connect to all  131* sites that support IPv6 at the moment; unfortunately,
you'll have longer connect times as your DNS resolver attempts to fetch
quad-A records first, and then falls back to seeing if there's A records
for the site, and if a site returns a quad-A record but the v6 connectivity
isn't working, you'll just be broken, it won't fall back to using v4, so you'll
have an overall poorer experience than your v4-only neighbor; but it's the
future, so you should sign up now!!!"

No credible publically-traded company in their right mind would try to
offer customers a "future" oriented product that has worse performance
than the "present" oriented product.

*http://www.ipv6.org/v6-www.html
[but if people have better lists of IPv6-capable sites, it would be
interesting/amusing
to get a more current count--this was simply the first link returned
from search engine
for "ipv6 capable sites"]

>  bd

Matt