[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6 - The Economic Factor

Matthew Keller kellermg at potsdam.edu
Tue Dec 29 09:12:57 EST 2009

Sorry to dredge an "old" thread back, but I'm catching up on PPML and
Vaughn's note really nailed a large segment of what I've been explaining
for several years now when dealing with the "deploy IPv6 or you suck and
are a bad netizen" crowd.

> This (*The Economic Factor*) should not be underestimated

I'll go one step further - Deploying IPv6 across a perfectly-running
enterprise network is excruciatingly daunting.

This isn't daunting because admins lack the expertise or confidence to
do so, or haven't done it a bajillion times in test environments, it's
because our customers (and bosses) don't care - they don't care one lick
that you're rolling out IPv6, whatever that is. The network is
_working_, everything is _fine_ and they very simply don't want to risk
something not working anymore: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The
customer has plenty of other things they _do_ want.

There is little-to-no consumer-driver to enable IPv6 in established
networks, and when coupled with Vaughn's assessment of economic
dissuasion, it paints a picture that unless you are very well-off
(capitally and/or human-resourcely), _forced_ by outside powers
(something to show your customers and bosses to justify the risk of
change), or setting up a new network from scratch (you'd be stupid not
to): Trying to get "normal", established edge networks to deploy IPv6 is
one-step down from trying to herd cats.

--
Matthew Keller
Information Security Officer/Network Administrator